1.18 vs 1.28 unequal spring in j9

dont want to waste to much time from you guys so…
I’m taking apart my j9 and i have several springs i’m tossing up between the 1.18 or the 1.28
both of these are un-equal but i noticed the 1.18 is at least 2cm longer. if i want reasonable accuracy and decent pow which would be best suited?

actually i should really be asking which is more powerful, does length beat diameter in this case?

Really you will just have to try one, then the other and decide based on chrono numbers or the general feel … which seems best to you…

There are so many springs available from so many sellers, it is impossible to know what quality various springs are… so, it is really a case of ‘suck it and see’ pop

I personally would go the bigger one first… I use 1.3mm and happy with them… sting alright (so I am told) :money_mouth_face: :grin: That is the most important thing laughing (1)

2 Likes

the extra length on the 1.18 seems like it is designed to have more compression/pre-load for it to function as intended.
1.28 being thicker spring, it should hold more compression energy and kick back harder.

try to compress both by hand and see which one takes more effort to compress,
that will be the one that’s gonna kick harder

I used to think our springs were some sort of technically advanced super dooper springs… all neatly spun around some fancy mandrell, then lovingly heat ed and quenched or some nonsense like that… then I watched some youtubes om making small springs and it turns out they are just piano wire (or even strands off larger cables) twisted around some sort of mandrel… cold, then no heat treatment at all… eye boggling … so, that is why I have said in other threads, there is nothing to stop someone gently stretching or manipulating a spring and maybe cutting a few links off the ends and experimenting with hand done spring mods. I know in Low Guido’s vids on springs, he rarely found 2 springs from the same model blasters the same exact length… could be why 2 blasters of the same model perform differently?

I started a thread … I will edit it here in a minute

2 Likes

I used to think our springs were some sort of technically advanced super dooper springs… all neatly spun around some fancy mandrell, then lovingly heat ed and quenched or some nonsense like that… then I watched some youtubes om making small springs and it turns out they are just piano wire (or even strands off larger cables) twisted around some sort of mandrel… cold, then no heat treatment at all…

I started a thread … All things springs… you will see what I mean about the total let down of how simple spring making is…badluck

1 Like

i would guess as much, that’s why i thought it’s better just pressure test them rather than worry about what the number said on the package.
like the 1.2mm spring i recently upgraded to seriously looks dodgy in quality :joy:

1 Like

Yeah, some I ordered in had surface rust on them in their little square plastic tube, others wer cad plated, some not… some look like galvanized (powdery) noidea

It seems that quality control in gel blaster parts counterfeiting has alot of catching up to do?

Sometimes you order 4 of one spring, one is excellent, two are ok and one is :poop:

with that said…
are there places where you can purchase “decent” quality parts from?

I just get mine from spend bay (ebay) … I am sort of addicted to ebay… Now i have taken up 3D printing, I have gotten worse…violin badluck laughing (1)

You don’t need to light a candle for me tho… :money_mouth_face:

1 Like

off topic question, but what’s the size of the stock j9 spring?

i been actually thinking on looking up someone that does 3D printing to help with an little idea for my blaster O_O
do you mind if i msg u directly?

1 Like

While I’m not knowledgeable enough to weigh in on the technical side of this conversation, I have a Gen9 that I use as my primary blaster.

For reference, the only thing not replaced is the gearbox itself.

I didn’t build it for crazy power or speed.

I keep two springs for it…the 1.18 gives me 300-310FPS and better accuracy.
The 1.28 gives me 340-350FPS and is still decent, but not as accurate.

2 Likes

that was very helpful thanks, i went with the 1.28 again. i think the 1.18 was only longer as it was brand new and never compressed yet. wow over 340fps! what did you change to get that, i see not the gearbox but did you change pistons or nozzles at all?

1 Like

I have a full list in my “show us your kit” post here, but everything.
Motor, wiring, spring, spring retainer, piston, cylinder, head, gears, bushings (no I didn’t go bearings on purpose), ARL, tappet spring, tightbore barrel, overly sealed tpiece (Just not attractive to look at but then who is looking).
I have replaced the exact same in both my m4 and my m249.
The only stock ones are my Deagle (because who ACTUALLY uses pistols on purpose on an open field) and my Wells (because I need a reliable blaster when the highly modified ones have an anxiety attack).

so with the t piece sealing, more is more right :wink: