Alpha King w/ mods or Azraels AK?

Need some opinions before i start throwing money at toys again. I haven’t heard great things about the APS boxes (I wouldn’t be keen on opening it up at all if i bought an Azraels) but I have not seen much about the Red Dragon box and people upgrading them.

Is there a way to mitigate the APS box failing like the others I have seen on here? Is throwing another V3 style CNC box into an Alpha King going to be worth it?

Thoughts? Opinions on which way to go?

A lot on the CNC boxes are radiused at the cylinder window to provide relief points. Looking at the majority of the aps boxes that is where they seem to fail, at the bottom front right cylinder window corner, so maybe radius the corners first. Also look at the screw holes along the top of the box frame (top spine?), these also seem a weak point so you could try some button head screws but tbh I think it’s more of a casting/material issue than countersunk screw holes causing the cracking there.

The Azraels are metal receivers aren’t they? I personally would go the Azraels AK over the Alpha King and deal with any issues if they happen then drop a CNC box in the Alpha (is there even a CNC V.3 available in aus yet?).

Disclaimer I haven’t used either this is only my 2c :+1:

I have an AlphaKing and threw a m90 spring in it and sealed up air-leaks in the nozzle and tpeice…pushes over 320fps. Using turnigy 11.1V batteries. Great reliable blaster. I think you will be happy either way you go.

1 Like

I know if i got an alpha king i would end up on the hunt and spending as much on it as buying an azraels, so i think i will just take the plunge. boxes seem easy to come by, metal ak receivers etc less so.

I bought an Alpha King just before l heard about the metal one, was then going to go the whole pre order on the metal AK and started reading about the gear boxes being a problem so have held off.

Since then have done some external mods on my Alpha King (and posted some pics here) and really like it a lot, so I’m happy to watch what happens with the new model and maybe pick one up later when the fuss dies down.

1 Like

What and see how many of any of these APS V3 boxes crack.

Hopefully they’re better than the silver edge v2 paper weights going around.

If they’re decent get a metal one, if they’re not go alpha king and metal v3 gearbox :face_with_monocle:

Just need to track down someone who has ordered one or convince the man himself to do a teardown and post pics. Most definitely the safer option.

I posted a link to this a while ago

After deliberating for a few weeks I bought one of the Metal AK’s as I do not have the time for full builds anymore. Haven’t had a chance to shoot it yet but build quality is top notch. Will report back once i run some mags through it.

Interesting to me because I have gone down the Alpha king with RetroArms cnc box option. Haven’t done anything yet as waiting on all parts to arrive.

That was my other option, I might end up doing another custom build in future but I’d like to get out and play some games ASAP

Curious can you take that ridiculous mag well guide off?
I’m literally in the same position, got the itch for an Alpha AK so really deciding if it’s alpha king or Azraels AK,.
Azraels looks better and needs less work but I wanna wait and see what people think before I pull the trigger

I assume you can as it’s just an extra part I spotted on the aps website, only 4 screws holding it on

1 Like

Awesome thanks Nathaniel, one more reason to get the Azraels AK. All I need to do on his is swap the handguard out for a zenitco and change the muzzle brake

No worries, happy to grab more pics later if you have other questions.

Let me know where you find the zenitco stuff as well - I know a few places that ship worldwide but it’s all the real deal, or coming from alix and the opposite end of the spectrum

Yeh unfortunately I was just going to buy real zenitco and be done, got a hookup in the states for it but I know a guy who has a source for zenitco that I mistook for real it was that good, I will ask the question and get back to you