Battery connectors?

So I’ve just put a new gearbox in my wells and it has a tamiya plug on it, i have 2 other blasters and 4 batteries that are all the standard plug. So im in 2 minds wether to change the tamiya plug to the standard plug, or have to bite the ■■■■■■ and buy more batteries. Any pros and cons in regards to this?

Just choose a standard plug and stick with it. Xt30 or deans are fine. Dont cut the pos and neg wire at the same time when u snip off the old connectors is about the only thing to watch out for.

6 Likes

For what it’s worth, I swapped out the crappy JST connectors all of my blasters and batteries to XT30s. I tried Deans first, too big and awkward… some buffer tube / battery combinations don’t leave a lot of room for the larger Deans.

As Math1000 said, beware of how you snip off those JSTs… I cooked a little 11.1v lipo by being lazy and side cutting through both wires at once instead of one at a time. It didn’t ignite but the shed smelled like melted polymer for a while :joy:

4 Likes

there is nothing wrong with the tamiya plug but the JST SM that come with our stock blaster equipment are not fit for purpose.

i’m an xt fan myself - mostly this is rooted in shielding and ease of use…size counts.

as math mentions, be logical when you replug your batteries and use heat shrink, not tape.

3 Likes

Yeah I’ve just been doing some googling of connectors, the xt style does look like a far better option then the standard jst plugs. I’ve never changed a connector before, but might be time to learn haha

its all about current capacity - you know…that period before it melts :slight_smile:

there isn’t much to replugging, its just a bit of a process that you stick to and a bit of commitment to doing it properly (no tape)

3 Likes

2 Likes

I think ill go the xt30 if i can find some, they look a good size

I got some on eBay
That dont cost much

Take the time to do it right, it’ll be well worth it and you won’t any future problems. I personally use Deans in my blasters as it’s what I had in stock!! Bulky but work great.

2 Likes

I called my local Jaycar, they have no xt30 in stock but have xt60. I’m guessing they’re bigger? If so, will they still fit well enough?

I get them here but they are online order only right now
Don’t forget extras to make charge leads if you need them

1 Like

You could just make an extension/adapter plug that goes from tamiya plug to jst.
Plug it into gearbox , then plug battery into it.

If theres room of course.

Ive made lots of little adapter from deans /tamiya/jst so any battery van work with any blaster.

2 Likes

Jaycar don’t sell XT30 connectors, only XT60s…
Some hobby and RC shops might sell them. Ebay definitely has them online, as do most of the blaster retailers.

Would that not reduce power?

1 Like

Nothing noticeable. I only make them as short as needed.Dont really know the science behind it lol , but its quick , safe and easy solution.

1 Like

XT60 is about 3 times the size of XT30, they are larger than a deans connector

2 Likes

Ah ok cheers, definitely not what i want then haha

here is a size comparison
Bottom to top
XT30
XT60
Deans
EC3
EC5

2 Likes

… and a size relation relative to the average buffer tube.

4 Likes