Colour Shift Painting

Hi There.

I have a couple of ideas for painting my gel blaster. Now these ideas will prolly seal my fate as either a genius way ahead of his time, or a complete wanker! Sooo… Does anyone have first hand experience with DNA Colour Shift paints? I looked at Rust-oleum but DNA has many more colours readily available. I am really interested in learning about painting with this stuff so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

1 Like

Reminds me of the PPG Harlequin paint jobs on cars years ago. Nice on a car, be interesting to see how it looks on a blaster.
Have you looked at hydrodipping?

2 Likes

Yeah mate I have looked at hydro dipping but for the effect I want I need to colour shift. I am looking to apply the black base coat and from there possibly paint 100’s of individual little colour shift patterns each a different colour than its neighbours! I reckon it will look sick, but then again it may look like shit! But I’m going to give it a lash!

3 Likes

Pics or it didn’t happen :rofl:

Gotta say, I envy you lot with schmick paint jobs. I only beautify the internals and performance.

If I added a sexy paint job to mine I’d just destroy it on field which would be a total disgrace.

2 Likes

Dude I’m looking at jazzing up my ‘stay at home’ blaster! I now have a wild hair up my ass about doing this paint job so come he’ll or high water it will get done. Hopefully, hopefully it will look as good as in my minds eye or it will most definitely look like gibberish!

2 Likes

Stay at home blaster?

Seems a waste to do all that work and not get your bling out

3 Likes

I can see his point… have the beautiful… almost a piece of art to display, show or just have to drool over… and more ordinary looking but hotted up blaster to take to the field to thrash and fall on and break etc laughing%20(1)

1 Like

dunno…its like having a gorgeous car and never driving it.

2 Likes

But… it’ll get scratches on it! At least minor blemishes?!

1 Like

Alot of people do just that… and have a beater of the same model to drive down to woolies to get the doors dinged instead… rather than the show car… it is actually quite sensible I reckon… especially with paint jobs (like with pearl on cars) that would be next to impossible to match if there is any damage. :+1:

2 Likes

As a friend said to me…

It’s like having a super hot girl friend and not having xes with her so she stays t*ght for the next guy lol​:joy::joy::joy:

4 Likes

Scratches and dings on a blaster is what make it look good!
Have a look at this leather bag I got from an op-shop for a few dollars…
Really ho-hum right?

Let’s put some scratches and dings on it…

Much better eh? :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Anyway, Somewhere in between ‘keeping it tight for the next bloke’ and vinyl man bags… does anyone have experience with colour shift paint? Hahaa!

7 Likes

Nope but keen to see the result when you do it.

3 Likes

A few good coats of clearcoat means you can give your shiny a cut & polish after game days :wink:

1 Like

Is that a durable solution?

so just to be clear - you want a phase change colour right??

I HIGHLY recommend you ditch the thought of spray cans - head to a hobby or RC site \ shop or ebay - get a airbrush and get paints to suit lexan - it takes very well to the plastic and with the airbrush you can lay down really thin coats of paint. which you will need if you want to do any colour anodized looks. which also require candy paints (Candy red, candy apple, candy purple etc) and metallic paints too.
There is a range called Fas-change that gives you a colour change but also depends on the layer below it as well :wink:

Show us the pics when ya done either way

3 Likes

I Man I think I’m going to use DNA Colour Shift paints. I’ll be starting with the plastic primer - black base coat - then various colour shift colours (there are 5) for the effect I’m looking for! Basically I’ll be creating lots of little colour shift dots next to each other all over the blaster each dot a different colour than it’s neighbour! Sort of like a honeycomb effect! Like I said it will either be pure brilliance or pure shit!

4 Likes

sounds awesome - show it off fail or not :wink: I am keen to see how it looks

2 Likes

Definitely keen to see the result,