Do I need to learn to solder?

Bought a desert eagle with SARnD upgrades second hand. Worked fine until the wire broke trying to fit the 11.1v in. What are some ways to fix it?

1 Like

Yes, soldering.

Also the way those plugs are you’re better off getting a new plug to solder to (or at least new pins, but they’re had to get out once they’re in).

Another option is to look at the other end of the cable, if it is attached to the board by a jumper or terminal of some sort you might be able to get just the cable.

Or get the made up cable and solder it to the board …

1 Like

Even if you don’t need to learn it it’s always a good skill to have. It’s what I did. Even if I did destroy my soldering iron tip in the end :man_facepalming::joy:

Looking at that thought it might almost be easier just replacing the plug

4 Likes

Sweet, whatever’s easier will be best as I’m painfully new to this.

Yes, it helps to know how to solder.
Plenty of videos these days with examples of clean, wet joints, iron temperature and maintenance.

You’ll need a good iron/station, variable temp preferably, a roll of solder and a brass desolder sponge if your iron doesn’t include one.
Resin-cored solder come in lead-free and silver and in 0.7 or 1.0mm.
A soldering aid with clamps helps too as you’ll usually need 3 hands. A magnifier for old eyes.
Should all come in under $100.

Work in an area with good air flow or have a fan handy.

PS
It’s not just about mods and fixes.
Once you learn to spot the difference, you’ll be surprised how many things come with dry joints, too little or too much solder and joints that are only held together by resin.

Most plugs like the one in your pic actually have removable pins and are easier to solder when removed plus you are less likely to melt the plug itself.

While you’re at the shop, ask about board cleaners, protective sprays, heatshrink tubing and wire-strippers.

4 Likes

I watched a video on soldering, now the advice given seems a lot less daunting. I want to do this right so what do you guys recon about this little kit off eBay? Think all I’d need are some of those wire cutting things and heat shrink.

1 Like

In that price range I’d prefer the next on the list.
@ $48 and uses standard replacement tips.

Can’t overstate the usefulness of a digital display.

With oxidation and corrosion, the same spot on the dial does not mean the same temp at the tip.
Too hot and you burn the work and the solder. Not hot enough and you will not melt the solder all the way through and it will not flow.

Sometimes you need to increase the heat simply because there is more metal surface or a thicker wire and being able to return to the temp that best suits the solder you use afterwards is very handy.
For mine, it’s 290-320C. Desoldering is around 400C.

The clamp is a cheapie and very handy but that magnifier just gets in the way. The piece you’re working on can be an awkward shape or size or still attached to something much larger. You’re better off with a lamp or magnifier lamp.

Solder suckers are cheap and only suited to large flat areas and a quick, steady hand but they don’t do a clean job. I tend to use solderwick more.

The brass desoldering sponge is very useful and cheap.
Good technique will involve poking the iron in it to clean the tip before and after using it on your work piece.

PS
An old soap dispenser with a small tube is handy for having water nearby to keep the sponge wet.

3 Likes

I just did same thing with mag terminal wire. Dont worry I couldn’t solder 2 weeks ago

3 Likes

@Cruise Cheers for having a look and recommending that one. I’ll be ordering that next week, slap dispenser idea sounds handy too :call_me_hand:t3:

1 Like

and the benefits of heatshrink

1 Like

Just dont get one of these ones

7 Likes

I remember the first time I went to jaycar ti get heat shrink, I was standing there for like 20min digging through their stock trying to find the “right size”…
Then the store guy tell my they shrink almost 90% of original size lol

:joy:
They are supposed to shrink by up to 50%.
Was more helpful when electronics stores were staffed by hobbyists most of whom could actually read resistor and capacitor codes.

2 Likes

Back when you soldered your enamelled crockery and plumbing?

Thats how i learnt in school with one of them , making stuff out of tin like little boats. I remember the solder came in huge bars you just stab with that irons tip.

Still have a bar or two. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Here’s one I prepared earlier… :grinning:

Like as in 8 months earlier…

3 Likes

@GelSoft_Warrior That’s the one I watched dude haha. Now I’m just wondering what shrink wrap I need and the solder :call_me_hand:t3:

Lol sorry! Were you the guy that msg’d me on Youtube today? Cause I was surprised to see so much soldering related chatter in one day cause it’s not a popular video!

Solder has been all the rage lately :sweat_smile:
Why does gelsoft warrior sound familiar?
Were you building an ak bit at a time on tubes or FB maybe

1 Like