Gen 8 into a M249 V3?

I’m keen to get an M249, and from what I understand the V3 has a clone of a Gen 8. I’m keen to swap out the clone gearbox and put a nylon Gen 8 into it, and then beef up the spring and barrel etc to make it a 250-300 fps blaster. Does anyone know if that would be a straight gearbox swap, or would it need some modification to get the Gen 8 to fit?

1 Like

It should be all good mate, I have done the exact same thing you are wanting to do. My M249 is a V2, V3 should be the same swap out just the V3 body is nylon not plastic like the V2.

1 Like

Awesome - thanks.
Have you had any luck getting alloy barrels for your M249?

I used a 50 cm (not tight bore) as that was all that was available at the time from where I buy my parts locally. I just trimmed the barrel to suit the hop up I had. If you have trim some off the barrel don’t forget champer the sharp edges on the inside of the barrel.

1 Like

I have an M249 now and a nylon Gen8 gearbox and stuff to upgrade it…

One thing on trying to fit a long barrel, is that you have to know how much air is available in the piston/cylinder to the volume of the barrel. If you try to empty the cylinder down a barrel of more volume, the gel will slow down in the last part of the barrel…

1 Like