Help Removing pinion gear

Has anyone removed the pinion gear from a CYMA, it has no grub screw and I am almost certain it’s glued in, I could easily cut it off but trying to save it, already tried boiling water and acetone bath but didn’t want to leave it too long incase it made a meal out of the pinion gear.
Any ideas or experience?

There is a proper tool for it, or just pull harder

2 Likes

Don’t have the proper tool so I will just pull harder I guess, I doubt I am gonna get a tool anytime soon

You could just buy a new motor and pinion gear!

Probably not a good idea to keep pulling.
Try to get something solid under the gear and punch the shaft and motor out.
It’ll save the motor.

I got it off, I got a grip on the shaft and then made a metal slide to go under the pinion gear and pulled, came off after one decent pull, now I don’t have to worry as the new one has a grub screw!
Thanks for the help here, I was honestly stuck

3 Likes

3 Likes

Good idea. Any time you push or pull (or hammer) on the armature shaft, you risk knocking the motor out of alignment ceazy

much better to use a puller pop

2 Likes

Yeh that was my fear too, luckily I have a tool that was almost a perfect match for the shaft so I could clamp it and hold it so when I pulled the gear off all the pressure wasn’t pulling on the motor, I have a slight mark on the shaft now but I can live with that.
Ordering a pinion removal tool today for future jobs.

1 Like

emailed this to me today.

1 Like

Ive seen a video of these being used. Perfect as they can attach as well as remove pinion.

@Kamchop
How is freight from Monkee mods at the moment?

1 Like

last shipment i got from them i had no emails to say it was shipped which was unusual but turned up in 5 days but you are paying $21 shipping

2 Likes