Internal hopups / Gel Ball weights

Gel blasters are so inaccurate past 20 meters due to the lack of effort put in to developing an internal bucking type hopup system that would put more consistent backspin on gel balls, heavier gel balls need to be developed also. If a company can come up with gel balls hard enough to leave welts surely they can figure out how to make them around the same weight as soft air BB’s where at that point we could finally see some improvements on intermediate range accuracy…

Leave your thoughts below, or don’t I’ve been trying to figure out a way to import an soft air hopup or get one fabricated in Australia so some testing can be done, because as of yet I’ve not seen really anything about it.

1 Like

It is possible that that internal hopup setup will damage the gels?

Im assuming that on cheap gels probably, but with all these heavy hard gels out surely they can stand up to a rubber nub in the chamber?

A hop up doesnt make a gel blaster any more accurate, it merely makes the gel go further.

Gel blasters are inaccurate because they are toys. If they are made more accurate and harder hitting, they will not be treated as toys any more and will be made illegal

The only way to make gel blasters as they are now, with the milky gels or other good quality and relatively heavy gels, is to come up with some sort of rifling to spin the gel as the rifling on a real boolit barrel to overcome the magnus effect… and then they will be banned pop

I am happy to be proved wrong, but the only place a hop up can be fitted is at the very end of the barrel… where we fit them now. Trying to fit one anywhere further down the barrel closer to the gearbox will only result in slowing the gel down as the gel will brush past the tongue of the hopup and be forced against the opposite wall of the barrel?

Have a go at making one tho, let us know how it works out …

2 Likes

The BLG M-16 had that style of hopup, allegedly it didn’t work at all but it could be a starting point?

@Calcifer i dont see how rifling a gel ball barrel would help with accuracy, rifling only works best on things that are cylindrical or slightly cone shaped like a real projectile normally is, being that the projectile has more mass on its spinning axis thats parallel to the direction of travel, the air flow around it helps to stabilize. Where as with a ball shaped object, the mass is evenly distributed around a cental point, which means if the gel was to rotate on the parellel axis of the barrel, if it was a clockwise rifle it go left and if it was anti clockwise it go right, it basically like positioning the hopup on its side. But also real projectiles as traveling supersonic or subsonic when they leave the barrel, they were desigined that way because it was the best way to help stabilize, have you ever seen a sniper cartridge shaped like a ball? The closest would be a 9mm or 22 or similar, but even then the majority of the projectiles body is cylindrical. Think ir it as an arrow in archery compared to a stone in a slingshot, which one is more accurate and has better distance?

1 Like

Ohh @Sam_D you shouldnt have said that. He is gonna come back now and tell you about his hand held thing from the stone age that shoots round things that weigh heaps more than a gel and shoots them heaps faster than a blaster.
Good luck with that.

2 Likes

Found this little post to backup ur theory

Also think about shooting basketball,
At least for me the only way I can get a straight trajectory is to add a bit of back spin with my shooting hand, if I just push it out with force it goes where ever lol

Quora…isn’t this like the pov pack ugly love child of Reddit and whirlpool conceived one night at a swingers party with McDonald’s employees?

3 Likes

Sounds like this forum :rofl:

3 Likes

We’re upmarket…like coffee club n shit

2 Likes

Back spin is only effective to a point, have you tried to spin it like a football as you throw it towards the hoop, i have not seen a basketball player do that ever in my life. Any sort of spin on a ball causes some sort or gyroscoptic effect that contributes to trajectory change, backspin is the magnus effect, whereas with a spinning cylindrical object, the gyroscoptic effect help keep the projectile stable and rotating on its axis thats parellel to its direction of travel

I’ll let you in on a little secret, by definition, gel blasters are firearms, the legislation around firearms is so broad that the government could turn around tomorrow and say that gel blasters are now firearms, according to the weapons act 1990 (as at January 2020) a firearm is any weapon capable of firing a projectile, and if it replicates the outer appearance of a category D or category R weapon, then it is also considered to be a category D or R weapon, that means my dinky P90 is by definition a category R firearm. That said, in QLD gel blasters have been defined as toys, so long as they continue to pew Sodium polyacrylate balls we’re fine, no amount of FPS hopup system or even adding rifling (which btw is stupid, one only needs to see the spread differece of a shotgun firing buckshot through a smooth bore versus a rifled barrel, smooth bore better for small round things, because small round things follow the path of the rifling because physics) to a gel blaster barrel isn’t going to somehow change the government’s definition of it, so long as people are smart and don’t try to rob stores with them (which is going to happen regardless) it’s pretty simple stuff, a bucking type hop up will impart consistent backspin on a gel, also when the gel hits the nub imparting backspin, it’s going to send it into the roof of the barrel allowing for more accurate shots at intermediate ranges. I think I’m going to end up buying some Tpieces for my p90 so I can start figuring this out.

2 Likes

A buck hopup wont work mate because the gel is always contacting the inner barrel in all different spots before it leave the barrel, it wont consistantly keep rotating down the barrel on a specific axis like a bb, it only works with solids, not gels, if you dont believe me id like to see you try it

3 Likes

Have to agree with Sam D on this one, the AS style hop ups are only good for solid BB projectiles. As far as I can tell, the gel blaster hop ups increase the effective range but don’t really have a big effect on improving accuracy, nothing like the AS hop ups do.

2 Likes

Many tests have been done with the AS system and it does not work on gel balls

2 Likes

I have actually, doesn’t go very well :joy:
I find spinning basketball with a bit of backspin give me best accuracy that’s all

1 Like

Such a little thing to ask, a little more range, a little more accuracy, you would think it would be easy. There is so much complexity, add in the laws of physics, and the bounds to which we operate under as outlined above in regards to not venturing down the time proven rifling of the barrel and we will only ever make marginal gains and then we hit a wall, and only if that wall is close and wide.

All my blasters have female names…

Should be easy rarely works out that way.

1 Like