M4A1 Spring Upgrade Gen 8

Last week I ordered 2 x new springs and a barrel, as the %$ks seem resistant to the gel balls hitting them. The metal barrell is longer than the original, however the spring I ordered is much longer, and it didn’t seem to work. I have removed the spring.

Here are the two, side by side.

What size is the big one? It looks like about 1.5mm?

The most I would put in a Gen 8 with nylon gears (or plastic) would be 1.3mm’

That looks like a real monster… I doubt a 2S Gen 8 could run it…

1.5 was the size i ordered from xxxxx?

Sorry it’s 1.3, and this [is the link](https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2Pcs-1-2-1-3-1-4-1-5MM-Upgrade-Spring-for-JM-Gen8-M4A1-SCAR-Gel-Blaster-Toy/183647791941?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=691112558420&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649)

My 1.3mm springs dont look that chunky… have you got a vernier caliper to confirm the spring thickness? noidea

No, but it just seems so much longer that the original in the picture. Oh well, an excuse to goto Jaycar/Bunnings. :wink:

That’s an AS spring, way too powerful for Gel Ball, doesn’t matter if it’s technically 1.3mm, if the thing is twice as long as your piston that’s a hell of a lot of compression and therefore stress on your gearbox.

1 Like

You can always trim a few coils from the spring and reset the end.
If your looking at your picture you’d cut some from the left hand side, don’t cut the end with the tight coils.
This may help🤙🏽

Thank you, though I’m not sure when I’ll take it apart again. The barrel nut was on so tight.

Here is the spring I purchased. I did cut it back to 14cm, however my gearbox started playing up, so I spent all day getting that back together. Hence it has the the original spring back in it.