Off Blaster Battery Location

So this little CQB project I’m killing time with… I plan to remove the stock and buffer tube, then run a concertina battery lead off the back of the receiver to a lipo or multiple lipos in parallel in a molle pouch. This is what I’m working with…

I was considering just running a battery box on the top rail, but apart from the obvious risk of burning all the hair off my chest and face from a lipo fire, can anyone see any issues with the battery lead concept? Maybe give me a direction for sourcing suitable cable for the job?

I have no idea if the right cable even exists in the right amp rating, or even where to go looking.

1 Like

I would have thought a wire running to the blaster would be cumbersome & restrictive.
Methinks a battery box on the blaster is a better idea.

Why not just put it inside the handguard o.o?

No room, no convenient access for battery changes in that handguard… I thought of a battery in the foregrip, access through the bottom, but lipo size would be limited.

I will improvise, adapt and overcome. :joy: at least I’ve got something to occupy my time.

1 Like

why not run a sling to the rear of the blaster and run a battery wire in through the sling? that way your not gonna yank the terminals off? just spit balling but that that’s what I would be looking to do, something solid yet has a use that fits with the build, single point sling

2 Likes

Silly idea but…
If you secure a extra mag to the lower receiver somehow and make it look it u running dual mag with a clamp, and put the battary in the side mag o.o

But then u have to make it so you can still reload with out it getting in the way o.o

1 Like

Just found out an 11v lipo will fit nicely into the foregrip, so I have options. Buffer mounted battery like normal, or with the stock off and a battery in the foregrip.

This is gonna be cool. :+1:

1 Like

I run the long peq’s on my ones, fit a 2200 mAh in there easily with wire and a fuse holder.

3 Likes

I thought about the fake PEQ units, purpose built for this application, really… just trying to avoid bulking up the front of th he blaster too much. That does look cool though… :+1:

I can fit a small 11.1v lipo into the foregrip, I just need to decide whether to hardwire and make it permanent, or wire in contacts like the rear end so the grip can be taken off and the blaster used with the battery in the buffer tube. And, of course, the option of running both.

If you use a sling. Tape the battery onto it.

2 Likes

Good point… hadn’t thought of that one. :+1:

Like a radio pack on a guitar strap

2 Likes

That’d work on a couple of levels.

Being a CQB blaster I’m trying to keep the bulk down as much as possible, the strap idea’s definitely worth looking into… and doesn’t require any rewiring on the blaster.

Cheers for all that input. :+1:

2 Likes

I would rather have a LiPo on the outside of the blaster than on the inside… if it starts burning, you can shake it off… if it is inside the blaster… all you can do is throw the blaster on the ground and watch it burn…badluck

2 Likes

Yeah… I guess that’s the downside to having a lipo in a molle pouch… :thinking:

Still, if it’s in the foregrip it’s about the same as being in the buffer tube. Either way, if it goes up in smoke you’d be dropping that blaster most ricky tick and reaching for the marshmallows. :joy:

1 Like

during discharge the most likely cause of a lipo fire is a puncture

Or a short, this has been the case with every one I’ve seen so far

2 Likes

Thats why you should always have a fuse at the battery.

3 Likes

Well, for better or worse the second battery’s in the foregrip, internally wired… I figure safety wise it’s no different to a KVV2 with the battery in the handgrip, and it’s a pretty slim unit now.

A quick non-essential trip to Jaycar for inline fusing (@Simon_A what amp fuse should I be looking at with 11.1v?) and it’s done. To stop charge swapping I’ll only run one battery at a time, normal buffer tube battery for field play, grip battery for CQB.

Thanks for all the input on it, guys. As always, very much appreciated. :+1:

2 Likes

Looking good !
25amp fuse

2 Likes