Bit of a transformation story. A while back I got an MRT Nylon and gave it a bit of a visual treatment, going metallic blue, which led to Kermit the Brrrt (a HeE-ACR conversion to a gen8) and more recently, the magical friendship blaster.
This time, I’ve taken advice from the forum and looked to improve the venerable MRT.
A big piece of the advice was to avoid the Wells metal gearbox, so I went for a build based around an LDT LDX Basic.
- Have fun with a build
- Up my innards game
- try to stay field legal, but have a fun blaster with a bit of range & accuracy.
Main Parts used:
- LDT LDT Basic box from watint
- CNC X-Force 480 High Torque Long Type Motor for V2 Gearbox
- Xforce Steel inner barrel (35cm)
- switched to Mini Tamiya batteries
I also took the time to add a few small external parts. Most from AliExpress and a few others from xforce.
- red metal outer barrel
- new trigger and firing switch
- other stuff I’m still waiting for
Traps (for people new to conversions or stay in the Wells ecosystem)
- Inner barrels for the Wells are a smaller diameter than usual so you will need a new inner if you plan to move from Wells T-Pieces and Barrels to LDT and standard mags. I’m using SLR mags and can confirm if you keep things LDT they work well
- you will need to cut out a couple of tabs out of the lower receiver to fit an LDT box
- LDT mag terminals have a well deserved reputation for being easily broken. Be prepared for some soldering.
- The screw on the Wells buffer tube might be too short to reuse on a new one. If you’re intending to replace the buffer tube make sure you also get the screw connection piece.
At the moment, I’m planning a Basic test with my minimal set up before working on seals/springs/Orings properly: I want to keep this build at that general field legal level. Once my wife is off night shift I’ll do some chrono work, pull it down and work on the details.