Please help jm gen 9

Hey everyone in a pickle
Need a little advice
New to gel blasters an really into it getting into it with my step son as a bonding thing an well anyway i just brought a jm m4 gen 9 an did a full gearbox upgrade motor is a 8.4v 39000rpm metal gears new plunger metal barrel all that after alot if time spent getting wat I thought was dead rite shimming metal trigger new silver switch an wiring alllll that drama I thought it was rite first run battery smoked when trigger was pulled an only when trigger was pulled now this was the only thing I didn’t replace now I think the new gen 9s have about a 7 volt if I’m rite came with a nylon gear box an stuff so it’s the newer one but I’m just not sure I know the battery is a bit underrated but would it turn the box a little or would the motor being an 8.4 just smoke the battery just wondering if I have a short or a shit wire or … gearbox seems free should have access to a better sized battery tomoro but I wasn’t sure if I should just strip it tonight an check agaaaaain or if an under powered battery wouldnt have the cra k for the heavy spring an metal gears an 8.4 motor thanks sooo
Much for reading that novel new to it all an just not sure if it’s the battery or I should rip it apart an check for a short u would think it would turn a little even underpowered wouldn’t you. ? Or just smoke the battery …

Bugger… sounds to me like the gearbox wouldn’t move so when you pulled the trigger it let the smoke out?

Either that, or somehow you got the wiring back to front… the motor tried to go backwards, the little anti reverser wouldn’t let it… so it let the smoke out? badluck

1 Like

Thanks for your advice gard to get . I’m thinking something similar but now I can’t get any push out of it could the battery be buggered but still show voltage? As it’s showing 11.4 v on the multi but neither of my motors will turn even out of the gear box when I touch the battery wires straight to it… I’m gunna get another battery today an see how I go thanks again

if you’ re burning cash she sNg, invest in a benchtop power supply.

endlessly useful things

it is possibly your batteries can show voltage and not push enough current to make your motors spin but highly improbable you’d get two in a row.

you’ll probably need more than a tap on the terminals too to make it spin and if you did have the polarity reversed your motors are probably cooked.

i keep a second hand burner motor about for testing random things. most shops will sell you someone else’s old motor for 10-20$

its good to have A<>B test equipment

2 Likes

Things to do with 50$ and an old PC psu

2 Likes

I see in your photo that you have changed the piston, Are you sure the piston moves freely with the case closed up ? The gen9 piston is slightly smaller in diameter and the new one could be very tight.
Take the gears out and close the box and screw it up and then make sure the piston slides freely.

1 Like

This happened to me it sounds exactly the same . It ended up being the motor base plate pushing the motor to high so it couldn’t move, I had to buy a different motor base as some aftermarket motors are slightly different to the stock ones

1 Like

Yeah so you need a 480 base plate the gen 9 is 460. I got mine from m4a1 gel blaster for ten dollars, but shipping is a extra 10

1 Like

While shimming my first box I set the gear on the motor too high and, a wee bit of SMOKE. But I set the gear lower and she’s singing like an angel now.

2 Likes

Yeah nah yeah… there seems to be a certain amount of smoke you can let out and it still works… but if you let just that little bit too much (or see actual flames) and it is ded and gone…badluck puke%20(1)

1 Like